This Map partly illustrates the location of Richmond Hill, in the Borough of Queens, NY. Note where Myrtle and Jamaica Aves. meet, this is the famed "triangle" which has been the community's main thoroughfare right from the birth of Richmond Hill to today's present time
Richmond Hill is presently borderd by Kew Gardens to the North, Jamaica to the East, Ozone Park to the South, Woodhaven to the West, Glendale and Forest Hills to the Northwest.
Quick Search of richmondhillhistory.org
The Richmond Hill Historical Society
Victorian Richmond Hill- Published by The Richmond Hill Chapter of The Queens Historical Society.
Walking Tour- Guide Map with Directons to 'Old Richmond Hill'
NYC Centennial- 100 years of Greater NY
Quick Facts for Richmond Hill, NY
The formation of Richmond Hill came about as a result of the 1869 purchase of the Lefferts and Welling farms by one Albon Platt Man, a prominent New York attorney.
The town name 'Richmond Hill' is either from a town in England or it might be inspired by an architect of the time named Edward Richmond. (Incidentally, Richmond Hill was the name given to the 138 foot hill which stands north of Metropolitan Ave. on 116th Street where a water tank now stands. It was part of the terminal morain, a huge mass of dirt and boulders pushed up by the last glacier, which covered four million square miles of North America and finally terminated on the middle of Long Island about 10,000 years ago.)
The town's first dwelling, said to have been the Kessler house erected in 1869, was quickly joined by homes on Myrtle and Central Avenues (now 85th Ave.), Elm St. (now 114th St.) and Oak Street (now 115th St.) A few of these houses can still be seen today; most have been remodeled, but they retain several distinguishing charachteristics such as mansard roofs and wraparound porches belonging in that style known as Queen Anne Victorian.