RHHS LogoThe Richmond Hill Historical Society___________________________________________

Back To RHHSGuestPage CommentsQuick InfoResourcesMaps

Jackson Pond in Forest Park located in Richmond Hill, NY
Click here for more history and photos of Jackson Pond and Forest Park.

Photos Circa 1960 - Courtesy Frank Loeber Collection

These photos show how Jackson Pond was at one time in Richmond Hill before it was filled-in. Almost lake-like, "The Pond" served as a "watering-hole" for everyone to enjoy the calm of the water, and to sail one's boat across the great sea during the spring and summer months.

Under the shade of the weeping willow trees, one could truly feel that this was Richmond Hill's oasis. During the winter months, the pond would freeze over. Many would enjoy ice skating on the pond. Unfortunately, rumor has it, this may have what caused the pond to be filled-in over the years. Due to safety concerns for the children, it was deemed safer to drain the pond, fill it in, and extend the parkland.

Jackson Pond circa 1960 - Frank Loeber collection
Jackson Pond in Forest Park circa 1960 in Richmond Hill

Information from the NYC Parks Dept.:
According to the NYC Parks Dept., the pond and the playground across the street is named for Jarvis Jackson, former Park Superintendent of Forest Park. This was also the site of the Forest Park Lodge, a mansion once owned by Mayor Abram Hewitt (1822-1903) and dry goods merchant Alexander Field, which once sat on the hill north of what is now Myrtle Avenue and 108th Street. The City of Brooklyn acquired the parcel sometime between 1895 and 1898, and the City of New York acquired it on January 1, 1898, after the consolidation of the five boroughs. Jackson and other park officials then occupied the mansion until 1941, when the mansion was torn down to make way for a playground.

Local children frequented the popular Jackson Pond in all seasons, swimming, fishing, sailing model boats, and ice-skating. The NYC Parks Dept. replaced the mud bottom with a brownstone pebble gravel bottom in 1931, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved it for the local residents in 1941. By 1966, the pebble bottom became structurally unsound, raising concern about the safety of park-goers, especially during ice-skating season. The pond was filled with cement, and became used for basketball courts.

Click here for more history and photos of Jackson Pond and Forest Park.

Back To RHHSGuestPage CommentsQuick InfoResourcesMaps